- Turney, P.D. (2020), Symbiosis promotes fitness improvements in the game of life, CoRR abs/1908.07034v2.
- Turney, P.D. (2019), Modeling major transitions in evolution with the game of life, CoRR abs/1908.07034v1.
- Turney, P.D. (2018), Conditions for major transitions in biological and cultural evolution, Proceedings of the Third Workshop on Open-Ended Evolution (OEE3) at the 2018 Conference on Artificial Life, Tokyo, Japan.
- Turney, P.D. (2000), A simple model of unbounded evolutionary versatility as a largest-scale trend in organismal evolution, Artificial Life, 6, 109-128.
- Turney, P.D. (1999), Increasing evolvability considered as a large-scale trend in evolution, Proceedings of the 1999 Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO-99) Workshop Program, pp. 43-46.